Mixed Grains Bowl With Beet-Ginger Dressing
Total:1 hr 20 mins
- ½ cup red rice or short-grain brown rice
- ½ teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 1/4 cup dried brown lentils, rinsed
- ½ cup rainbow quinoa
- 1/4 cup olive oil, divided, plus more for serving
- 1/4 cup plain whole-milk kefir
- 1 8.8-oz. pkg. steamed beets (such as Love Beets), chopped (1¾ cups)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice (from 1 lemon)
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger (from a 1-in. piece)
- 2 avocados, halved, pitted, and peeled
- 1 small bulb fennel, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup hemp seeds
- baby greens, flaky sea salt, and crushed red pepper, for serving
- Step 1Place 3½ cups water, rice, and 1 teaspoon kosher salt in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high. Reduce heat to medium-low; cover and simmer for 25 minutes. Stir in lentils; cover and cook for 10 minutes. Stir in quinoa; cover and cook until grains are tender and all water is absorbed, 12 to 15 minutes. Remove lid, cover pan with a clean dish towel, and replace lid. Let stand for 10 minutes. Spread grains on a rimmed baking sheet and let cool for 10 minutes. Toss grains with 3 tablespoons oil and ½ teaspoon kosher salt on baking sheet. (Grains can be made up to 3 days ahead; store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.)
- Step 2Meanwhile, place kefir, beets, lemon juice, ginger, and remaining ¾ teaspoon kosher salt and 1 tablespoon oil in a blender. Process until smooth, about 30 seconds.
- Step 3Spoon beet mixture on 1 side of each plate and spread with back of a spoon into a half-moon shape. Top with grains mixture, avocado, fennel, hemp seeds, and baby greens. Sprinkle with flaky sea salt and crushed red pepper. Drizzle with oil.
Make It Vegan:
Blitz beets with unsweetened canned coconut milk instead of kefir.