Vegan White Bean Sweet Potato Chili
Author: Heather Christo
Prep time: 15 mins
Cook time: 45 mins
Total time: 1 hour
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 yellow onions, finely diced
- 1 jalapeno peppers, finely diced (keep the seeds for more heat)
- 12-ounces sweet potato, peeled and chopped
- 3 carrots peeled and chopped
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 3 15-ounce cans drained white kidney beans
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 bay leaf
- kosher salt
- 1 avocado, chopped
- green onion, finely sliced
- fresno chili, thinly sliced
- chopped fresh cilantro
- In a large heavy pot over medium high heat, add the olive oil and the yellow onion and jalapeno and sauté for about 5 minutes until the onion is tender.
- Add the sweet potatoes cubes and carrots and celery and cook another 2-3 minutes.
- Add the beans, vegetable broth, spices and the bay leaf. Stir well and bring to a simmer.
- Put a lid on the pot and turn the heat to low. Simmer for 25-30 minutes and then season with kosher salt to taste.
- Serve hot with chopped avocado, cilantro and green onion on top.